Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pre-Season Task 2

Pre-Season Task 2 deals with the excuses we give ourselves every day.  Every hour.  Every time we set out to do something.  As women, and particularly as Mothers, we are experts as putting excuses together.  Most of the time it comes from a good place, a place of putting others before ourselves. But this leads to a situation where we come to believe that we always deserve to be last.  This is not a good place to be and in itself causes more excuses to be created. 

The majority of my excuses are internal ones. In fact the external ones are usually dealt with by applying internal ones!  What a cycle. This time I am going to give myself solutions that are doable and are useful.  NOT keep applying the same lame solutions that have given me NO solutions over the last few rounds.

So here goes.

Internal Excuses
I can't get up that early. I don't deserve to spend the time on myself. I have too much to do at home (but I don't do that either!). I have to help the boys with their homework. I am too stressed about: moving, money, moving, money, moving, money. I am going to fail again so why put in the effort.

Solutions
I understand that I am not going to like doing some of the things straight away - but do them anyway.

I AM going to get up early as it is the only time I can fit it in without impacting on my family.  I am already setting the alarm early and practicing getting up.  I am not there yet but each day it is easier and by Monday it will be the start of a great habit.

I do deserve it.  Keep reading positive messages and following positive people who lead by example.  - Mish, Ange, AC, MrsHethro, FitDons, MissV, Louise, the 12wbt Sydney Crew and many many others. There will be moments when I doubt myself and feel 'less'.  These are the times I need to take 10 minutes (not 5 hours) reading my positive pin board on Pinterest and getting excited about the possible changes to my body.  Then close it down and DO SOMETHING.

I am still going to be stressed about moving and money but I don't have to keep being stressed about being overweight and unfit.  This is something I CAN do something about.  Get fit.  Get healthy.  And then dealing with the other issues will become a little easier.

External Excuses (within my control)
I planned to go outside and walk / run / shuffle and it is raining. I forgot my take my lunch to work. I haven't washed my workout clothes. The boys are being naughty and I have spent hours 'talking' to them and now I am too tired / stressed / cranky to workout / tidy up / get ready for tomorrow.

Solutions
Routine = Control.  Take steps to ensure that these excuses are minimised by writing up a plan.  Make it doable.  Build in contingencies.  Make it happen. Put plans into place that make it a 'have to do' rather than a 'exercise to do'.  For example. I am going to walk to work.  My clothes will be at work.  I have to walk to get there so I will walk / shuffle / jog whether it is raining or not.  Take the time to plan each Friday night for food and each Sunday night for clothes. Make sure that family time is scheduled and done.  Happy kids make a happy Mummy. A happy Mummy makes for happy kids.

Make.  It.  Happen.

External Excuses (outside of my control)
I will deal with these if and when they arise.  OK the day we move I may not be able to fit in a DVD if I have packed all the gear, BUT moving boxes and shifting furniture will equate to a good all over body workout. Also if I am able to farm off the boys for a few hours, to help remove distraction, then I can take myself off for an outside walk.  I CAN do this.  And if I can't do it today, then I will damn sure do it twice as hard tomorrow. (doing it tomorrow is not a solution to every problem.  This can only be used sparingly - and must be accountable)

Solutions
The solution is not to beat myself up over it.  If it is a legitimate excuse then take the day, do what I have to do, and then plan to smash it even harder the next day.




Excuses are a life long habit, and will take time to break.  I have broken a lot, and learnt new ones - lol.  But with help, patience and a 'can do' attitude I am going to finally knock these to the kerb and run right over them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment